- It’s luck if a bat falls on you.
- It’s an unlucky sign of a death in the family to bring a bat into the house.
- If a bat flies into a house it is a sign that ghosts are about and maybe the ghost let the bat in.
- It’s a bad omen if a bat appears during a wedding ceremony
- A bat flying 3 times around a house is a death omen.
- Bats flying around in the early evening is an omen of fine weather to come.
- A bat flying into a building means it’s going to rain.
- It’s unlucky to see a bat in the daytime.
- Killing a bat shortens your life.
Parts of a bat:
- It’s lucky to keep a bat bone in your clothes.
- Keeping the right eye of a bat in your waistcoat picket will make you invisible
- Carrying powdered bat heart will stop a man bleeding to death or will stop a bullet.
- Washing your face in the blood of a bat enables you to see in the dark.
- Slipping a few drops of bats’ blood into someone’s drink makes the drinker more passionate.
Avoid bad luck when you see a bat by saying:
Airy mouse, airy mouse, fly over my head.
And you shall have a crust of bread.
And when I brew and when I bake,
You shall have a piece of my wedding cake.