- Spitting into your hand before picking up the bat is said to bring good luck.
- A wad of gum stuck on a player’s hat brings good luck.
- It is bad luck if a dog walks across the diamond before the first pitch.
- Some players believe it is good luck to step on one of the bases before running off the field at the end of an inning.
- It is bad luck to touch the baselines while running off and onto the field between innings.
- Lending a bat to a fellow player is a serious jinx.
- Some players actually sleep with their bat to break out of a hitting slump or stay in a groove.
- If a pitcher is throwing a perfect game or a no-hitter, never speak of it while it’s going on.
Many baseball player’s superstitions have to do with what was happening the last time they played really well. If they wore a certain pair of underwear, socks, the facial hair a certain way, when they were winning, they need to keep that streak going as long as possible so they won’t change it while it’s still “working”.