It is good luck to:
- Have telegrams on the dressing room walls.
- Have dolls and other mascots in the dressing room.
- Dance on accidentally dropped powder.
- Accidentally smear lipstick on your teeth when putting makeup on for a play.
- Keep a lucky rabbit’s foot in the makeup box.
- Kick off a pair of shoes and have them land on their soles.
- Leave a dressing room with the left foot first.
It is bad luck to:
- Carry a makeup box.
- Upset a makeup box.
- Use a new set of greasepaint on opening night.
- Clean a makeup box.
- Have an actor look over your shoulder while you are making up.
- Leave a piece of soap behind that you have been using on tour.
- Have pictures in the dressing room.
- Kick off your shoes and have them fall over rather than land on their soles.
- Put shoes on a chair in the dressing room.
- Leave a dressing room with the right foot first.